Search This Blog

Monday, June 25, 2012

Online Publishing for First-Time Authors - How to Publish Your Book Online


Is reading books a lost art?
One would think that with the modern marvel of TV programming, satellite and cable TV, streaming video and DVD dispensing kiosks popping up all over, the public at large would have lost interest in reading books, but that just is not so.
What it took was Amazon's Kindle to re-awaken the reading public.
I read a news article recently that said, "Only about 30% of all books sold are from brick and mortar bookstores." The rest of the sales are online purchases, mostly of electronic "ebooks." An ebook is a complete novel or it can be a work of non-fiction-like How-To manuals that are automatically downloaded directly to the purchaser's computer, iPad or electronic reader as soon as the credit card information is verified.
Getting Published-Ahhh, There's the Rub
So is getting a book published easier these days? Yes and no! Conventional, hardcopy publishing is still much like climbing a greased flag pole for the first-time author. Most-if not all-big-time publishers like Random House, Harcourt-Brace, Random House and Harper-Collins require all submission come through a literary agent, and they are really nit-picky about which literary agent! The rub is that most literary agents are too busy with their existing stable of published authors to give your manuscript even a glance.
Benefit From My First-Hand Experience
In my case, I began the hunt for a publisher back in 1999. It wasn't unit 2008 that I finally decided to go with what the industry terms a "vanity publisher," but the one I chose didn't charge me for publication-nor did they make any effort to promote my novel, "Surrogate Warrior." Yes, today you will find it listed on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and previously on some bookstores that have shut down. Most importantly, my first real sales were not for the hardback or softcover issues-my sales are coming from Amazon's Kindle.
I will soon be looking into getting my publisher to convert Surrogate Warrior to the "Nook" format on Barnes and Nobel. My problem was that when I signed my publishing contract, I neglected to get electronic publishing rights. I own the copyright and have an ISBN assigned to the book, but I signed a contract back before electronic publishing became the publishing behemoth it has become today.
Methods for Publishing Your Book Online
1. Find a Vanity Publisher like I did-there are many out there. Just read the fine print when it comes to ebook publishing. Many such publishing houses will not charge to create your book from your manuscript but few offer professional editing. What you wrote is what you get-typos and all. My publisher didn't impose any charge to create the finished publication, but they make their money selling books to their authors. My book in particular was way over-priced for a soft cover volume-$27.95! But for a small fee they converted the story to the Kindle format.
2. Do it yourself! Amazon and B & N encourage authors to format their own works and submit them. CreateSpace.com handles Kindle entries and they offer the tools online for submitting your work for consideration. They even have a free cover designer you can use. This is an ideal option if you have a completed work read for submission.
3. If you have an idea for a book but have not created it yet, I will recommend a self-help tutorial on my website that will guide you through the creation of an ebook-from blank page to completed work.
I have a second novel that is about 2/3s complete. I will be eliminating the middleman publisher and going directly to Kindle and Nook. I understand that Amazon pays a 70% royalty on Kindle books. Most of these works sell for around $10.00. Do the math.
The feeling one gets upon seeing your book in print-even if it is on a computer screen-is indescribable. Not every book generates fame and fortune, but seeing your own name on a book cover is a priceless experience. Learn more at Don's How-To Get Published Blog. Learn the 'round-about way I finally got my novel on Amazon: Publishing Surrogate Warrior
Expert Author Don Penven is a freelance writer and professional photographer based in Raleigh and Morehead City, NC


Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/7099099

0 comments: